If you’re looking to master a new skill or just have some fun and exercise in a new way, you’ll enjoy ballroom dance classes. If you’ve always thought you had two left feet, you might have just been missing out on education on ballroom dancing. Here are 5 Reasons to Start Taking Ballroom Dance Lessons
As you evaluate taking a dance class, you might be wondering whether to take a group class or one-on-one private dance lessons. A major factor in determining which is right for you is what your goals are. Your goals could be just to take on a new hobby, or they could be to prepare for a specific event in your life. To help you determine whether or not to take private or group lessons, here’s a look at the benefits of each.
When to take private dance lessons
Private lessons offer you one-on-one instruction from a teacher. Lessons allow you to ask questions freely and have the undivided attention from the instructor. Here are a few scenarios you might want to take private dance lessons:
- You’re building your confidence. You might not be ready to allow others to see your dance moves yet, and that’s alright. By receiving one-on-one instruction, you can build your skills and confidence in a private setting before allowing others to see you dance.
- You are preparing for a specific event. When preparing for an event, you have a specific timeline to follow. You also might have a specific dance or song to learn and need assistance with doing so. Your teacher can focus on your specific needs. Many people who take dance lessons are preparing for a wedding or other large party. Private dance lessons give you the instruction you need to feel confident for your event.
- Speed of progress is important to you. If you’re looking to kickstart your dancing skills, private dance lessons might be right for you. They allow you to hone specific dance steps and ask questions more freely. The instructor can also provide custom instruction to skip over sections you’re strong at or to spend more time in the areas where you’re struggling. For example, if good posture is your weakness, an instructor can spend time with you to build everyday exercises you can do to improve your posture both inside of dance and outside of dance.
- Celebration of a special occasion. Gifting your spouse or significant other with dance classes is a great idea. But it can be more intimate and special if it’s just the two of you and an instructor. The more private setting allows your dance lessons to be more of a date night and less of a full social experience you share with many other couples.
When to take a group dance class
Group dance classes can provide a larger social setting and enable you to make new friends while honing your skills. It might be that you learned ballroom dancing many years ago and just need a refresher or you could be looking for a way to meet other people. Here are some top reasons to consider a group dance class over private dance lessons:
- Meeting new people is important to you. Dance is a very social practice. It enables you to spend a few minutes getting to know someone while engaging in an activity you both enjoy. In between dances, you can mingle about the room and socialize knowing that you have something in common with the other people in the room. If your goal is to meet new people, group dance classes are for you.
- Improving your leading or following skills. The ability to lead and follow in dancing is extremely important. You need to be strong in your role and dancing with other people can make you better. By learning various styles of dance partners, you can improve your ability to clearly lead or follow how someone else leads. The added experience you gain from group dance classes and multiple partners can carry over into your dances elsewhere.
- Adding to your social dance experience. Dance clubs are great and provide a fantastic way to get out of the house and socialize. However, if you’ve never danced socially, going to a new meet up or club can be intimidating. A group dance class can give you confidence in your own skills and help you better understand how to dance with others. The more people you dance with, the better you’ll get and the more confidence you’ll have to approach someone else and ask them to dance.
- Enhance your skills at navigated a dance floor. Private lessons give you the instruction you need to master a new art. However, they can’t prepare you for what to do when your dance step requires you to go left and you have another couple to your left. A crowded dance floor is a whole new world for new dancers and group lessons provide the opportunity to practice that navigation while an instructor watches and provides tips for improvement.
Ballroom dance classes near me
ConfiDance offers ballroom dance classes near you. With partnerships with a variety of local dance studios throughout central Ohio, we can teach you in a location that’s convenient for you. Whether you’re looking to capitalize on the social aspect of dance through group dance lessons or trying to home in on your skills to prepare for a big event, ConfiDance is equipped to help you.
From Waltz to Tango, you’ll learn how to move about the dance floor and have fun. Central Ohio offers many places to use your new dance skills. Don’t miss out on a fun new hobby out of a fear of getting out there the first time. Our dance instructors are patient and have worked with new dancers before. We know how to build your confidence and help you have fun throughout the process. To learn more about the dances we teach, check out our ballroom dance instruction page. To learn more about where we teach and when, contact us.